Meatless Lentil Chili

My first lentil recipe made in direct response to my goal. I never make New Year resolutions, but this is not in response to Jan. 1... Even though it is a yr long endeavor, am I still in compliance with my distainful avoidance of New Year resolutions?

Well, back to the recipe.

Meatless Lentil Chili - Self Described as a Northwest Classic...just like me!

2 1/2 cups USA dry lentils, rinsed
5 cups water
1 packet dry onion soup mix
1 16 ounce can diced tomatoes
1 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon cumin
Cheese for garnish (opt.)

1. Bring lentils and water to boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for about 20 minutes. (Note: Never put add salt when boiling lentils...it makes um tough!)

2. Add soup mix, tomatoes, chili powder, and cumin.

3. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes.

Serves 6-8. Per serving: Calories 300, Protein 24g, Carbs 53g, Dietary Fiber 26g, Fat 1g, Cholesterol .06mg, Folate 355 mcg

It is that easy! I made it with stuff I had in the pantry. I only had tomato sauce so I used that instead and I was out of chili powder. I made my own little seasoning blend. I didn't add the cheese. It was really nummy, satisfying, and filling.

Amy really liked it. If she likes it, anyone will. She gives it 4 stars out of 5...so do I.

posted under , |

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Brooke, I made this last night and it was easy and delish! Yummm...thanks for sharing. :)

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

    My Diary

    It is always suggested to log your progress in a diary when you are trying to lose weight. This is my version of a log of my progress on my goal. I thought a public log would motivate me more and help me find support. This project is not about losing weight (although I suspect and hope that weight loss will be a side effect). It is about living life the way I have always wanted to: Healthy, Active, and Happy!

The Woman Challenge - Join! - May 9 through July 3, 2010 - womenshealth.gov

The Goal

I realized while talking to my uncle John that I am living someone else's life. That changes today. The next 365 days will be devoted to becoming myself again.



The Goals:



Decrease my overall ecological footprint.



Focus on healthy nutrition and eating habits.



Eat locally and in season.



Only eat meat when necessary in social situations. Fish is still on the ok list.



Exercise daily.



Take care of myself; I am important!



No more complacency. It doesn't start tommorrow; it starts right now.



Followers